Tuesday, October 7, 2008

How to do a DITY move

I am sorry that I have left my fellower bloggers hanging, but I have been quit busy with the move. Now that I am at my Dad's house and am a little settled in I want to give y'all some pointers on what to do or should I say not to do for a DITY move.

1. Buy your own moving trailer, but make sure you don't buy it in a city near you. You have to buy it 7 states away. That way you have to drive 23 hours one way to go pick it up.

2. Then buy a diesel truck so it will be strong enough to pull the moving trailer. But make sure you get one that breakes down on you 3 weeks after buying it. Yes, and that it breaks down in a different state while your driving with all your kids on the way to pick up the moving trailer that you bought 7 states away.

3. Have good family and friends that can leave their work and drive 10 hours to come pick you up on the side of the road with all of your kids and tow your truck back to their place.

4. Have a good mechanic on hand, but make sure that he takes 3 weeks just to diagnose what is wrong with your truck. Than another week to fix it.

5. Have plenty of money in savings so you can buy plane tickets to fly back home. We don't want you to get in trouble for your leave running out while your truck is in the shop 7 states away getting diagnosed. No A-wall for us!

6. When you get home empty handed with out the trailer that you bought, rent one from the rec center. But make sure you rent it for as long as you need it. That way when your time runs out and you go back to ask for more time it isn't reserved to somebody else for the next 2 days.

7. Have a spare truck on hand to make 20 different trips to the storage unit instead of a trailer that got rented out to somebody else.

8. Rent a storage unit to keep your stuff in since you weren't able to pick up the moving trailer that you bought since the truck you bought broke down 7 states away!

9. Have 4 yard sales, 5 truck loads to the His House and throw lots and lots of things a way to fit all of your stuff into the storage unit. That way you don't have to rent a 2nd storage unit for all of your things. (yes we still ended up having to rent a 2nd storage unit)

10. Buy KILZ paint to cover your painted walls, but make sure it is latex NOT oil base. We don't want you to get high off the fumes and end up sleeping in your car all night, and having to miss church the next day.

11. Have real good loyal friends that will come a clean your house. Not just the easy jobs, but the real nasty jobs like your oven and bathrooms. Thanks Kathryn and Brandi!!!

12. Have real strong friends that can come out of their busy schedules to come help you load up your heavy furniture. Thanks Brandon, Sean and Richard!!!

13. Give yourself plenty of time to move. We don't want you cramming all of the move in 4 days.

14. Please get lots of sleep. No staying awake for 3 days straight!

15. Don't do a DITY. Let the military move you!!!! This is what our diet consisted of, pizza and cookie dough. And yes I am biting the cookie dough. We had already packed up all of our utensils and plates, so I didn't have anything to cut it with but my teeth. And all of our furniture was gone too, so we laid out on the floor. It was actually pretty fun. I won't forget it thats for sure

Dad's face mask so he wouldn't get high off the paint fumes anymore. This was taken at 5am. He had been up all night painting. Poor guy Our trash pile. Some Mexicans had already came by and dug all through it and took what they wanted.
I had to give me house a kiss goodbye. I will miss Del Rio

8 comments:

Marie said...

Oh my GOSH! Liz Ann, I am so sorry it's been so awful for you lately. I hope that all of your belongings get where you need them, and that this straightens out. I wish you had talked to me - while it's always nice to make money, a lot of the times DITY moves end up being a lot more pain than they're worth. I will also tell you that depending on how much stuff you have and what the cost of the equipment is to move it - usually when you move far, you don't end up making enough to cover the cost, or you just barely cover it. We learned that moving from Wyoming to Georgia. Anyway - sorry it's so awful right now, but I'm sure it will get better and you know, sometimes I wish I could just start over with all of our belongings and get NOTHING. I feel like we're just moving stuff around the country to sit in boxes. Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted on how it all goes!!!

Marina said...

Okay, that experience was horrendous, but you definitely made some memories! You'll be able to tell this story for generations. I'm glad you're finally in SC with family who can give you some added support. I know you'll miss Del Rio, especially the wonderful people you have grown to love. Thank goodness for blogs. You'll being able to keep in touch.

House of Squitty said...

Yeah, I'm back in!!! It took me a while to figure out how to get in even after you sent me the invite.....but I'm here!

Marie said...

Ummm...aren't you kissing a TREE? he he he Fun to see the pics along with the story now :)

Kathryn said...

I'm so glad to hear that you made it safe and sound. Were your kids happy to see you?

Liz Ann said...

Tif,
I'm glad you figured it out and are back in.

Marie,
yes, I am kissing the tree

Kathryn,
The kids were very excited to see me. Well, at least once they actually woke up. When we got there they were sleeping.

The Great Hunt Family said...

What about making your neighbor help you load a camper shell on in the scorching sun... That was the highlight of my day!! I miss my next door neighbors... Can you come back now?!! We love you guys!!

Jayci said...

this is so sad. i hated, hated, HATED leaving Del Rio. And I had to (sort of) do it twice. booo.... not only was the moving process horrendous, but it's so sad leaving all the friends there. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you.. of course it was - look at all the tips you have! ha ha ha!! I'm sorry it was hard for you in about every single way I can imagine. You are awesome for soldiering on. :) Your soldier HAS to be proud of you.