Thursday, October 28, 2010

Testament

We have finally finished the Book of Mormon. It might have been the kids version, and we might have been a little slow, but none the less we are finally finished. The kids were excited! I have to say, this is the first time I have read through the BOM. I have tried many times before, but always fell short. I think it is great how the kids are the ones who keep me on my toes. They are the ones who remind me every night that we have to read scriptures and say prayers. If it wasn't for them I still wouldn't have read through it. They are so good.

So at the end of the BoM Moroni gives you the challenge to call upon the Lord in prayer and ask if what you have read is true. We took him up on his challenge. We all knelt down around the bed to pray. Before I could even start the prayer I came overwhelmed with the spirit and started crying. I felt like I didn't even need to pray, because the feeling was very blunt and powerful that it needed no words. I knew without a shadow of a doubt that the BoM was another testament of Christ. With the strong feeling I had, and me not feeling like I needed to say anything, I did pray out loud anyways for the kids sake. They have worked so hard all year long to read through the scriptures and they needed to experience this as well. They need to go through the motions of asking Heavenly Father for answers. As I started to pray the feeling just kept getting stronger and I had to stop several times to pull myself together from the shaky, crackling voice. When I was finished Isabel looked at me and asked me what was wrong. I explained to her that nothing was wrong with me. My tears were not of sadness, it was of happiness. It was the Holy Ghost bearing witness to me that the Book of Mormon is TRUE! That Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. That Heavenly Father has a plan for us. If we keep obeying him and head to the words of our leaders we will have Eternal Happiness.

After we had discussed everything Isabel turns to me and says, "Ok, Mom now we have to start all over again from the beginning!" I love that my kids are so strong willed. If only I was like that when I was younger. I told them that we should start another book in the scriptures instead, like the Old or New testament. Unfortunately, we don't have any of the other kid versions of them. So, I told them in the mean time while we wait to buy the rest of the scripture set we will read an article out of the Friends magazine every night instead. They agreed and said that would be ok.

After this experience, I have been thinking that if I had such a strong testament bearing witness to me over the kids version of the scriptures. What would it be like if I read the "Big" version of the BoM. Wow! Oh the blessing of reading your scriptures. Life is Grand!

3 comments:

Beth said...

That is a really neat experience!! It is awesome that you guys finished. I love the scriptures as well. It's amazing the Spirit they bring with them.

amd there's nothing wrong with starting over with the BoM. Keep it up!

Angel said...

What a great lesson for her. Now, those are the moments that make you just gave them the world, right?!

Leigh This Way said...

How awesome! It doesn't matter that you read the "kid version" because it still has the same lessons in it. Way to go!