Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Williamsburg, VA

To celebrate our country's Independence we thought it would be best to go to Williamsburg, VA and see where some of the Revolutionary War was fought. Anthony's sister, Holly, goes there every year for their family's vacation. We thought we would come in and enjoy some of the fun.
Since his sister had season passes she let us use them to take some of the tours for FREE. One of the ones we took was of the Governor's Mansion. We got to be treated as King and Queens, see all of the beautiful imported decor from Paris, India, Spain, etc...you know the world's finest trinkets, and of course dance in the ballroom.
The garden was well groomed of all kinds of different bushes that formed mazes. It was pretty neat. My favorite was of course the tunnel of trees. For some reason these always seem so romantic to me.
Taylor is one of Dad's nieces. Isn't she just the cutest thing? We love her. We keep trying to convince her to stay with us for the summer. What do you think?
Dad and Isabel got caught doing something naughty. Into the slaughter they go.
Anthony looks to happy to be in trouble. I'm sure he could talk his way out of this one. He is such a little flirt.
We got to here some old folk music with some instruments I have never seen before. We also got to see some reenactments of the war. The kids loved to see and hear the cannons go off.
Here is Kailey with a General that did something important in the war. Sorry, for my vagueness. I'm not good with history. That is why I like to take my kids to these places so they can learn something, because we all know they won't learn it from me.
Daddy's little girl.
We ended the night sitting in front of the Governor's mansion and watching a magnificent firework show. I am so thankful for all of the men who have died so that I could have freedom. Happy 4 of July to all.
BUSH GARDENS
Since military people get in FREE at Bush Gardens we thought "Hey, what a wonderful opportunity to go." WOW! That's all I'm going to say. It was so awesome.
First we went to Sesame Land and watched a 4D movie with Elmo
And got to see Grover
Zoe
Abby Cadabby
And of course Anthony's favorite....COOKIE MONSTER!
Here is a group shot and Dad's nephew, Blake
They planted a bush in a tin can and carved him to look like Oscar. Can you see it?
When we were in the Italy section of the park the kids got to put on aprons and squish grapes in between their toes. (Just pretend, its just for a picture)
Here is all the kids waiting to get splashed on by some of the rides.
The scariest ride was the Griffin. It took you up and held you over the edge. Yes, right as you thought you were going to fall it stops you and holds you dangling over a 205ft ledge for a few seconds. It feels like eternity. And then it drops you, zooom.....Most roller coasters drops have slopes. Not this one. If you see it is a straight drop. Completely vertical. It was brutal. Oh don't worry it also had your loops and twist as well. This one was the scariest, but my favorite roller coaster was called the Alpengiest. Way fun.

All in all, between Dad's sister and our military status everything we did was FREE. Except for gas and food. Our vacation was pretty cheap. I love my life. We had such a wonderful time.

4 comments:

House of Squitty said...

Looks like you guys have really been enjoying having "Dad" back home. Congrats on becoming Captain!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lizann, looks like you had fun on your vacation and you can't beat free! I love going to historic places, that's why I loved Charleston. Your pictures are cute and your kids are growing up so fast. Congrats to Anthony too! Natalie

Marina said...

Those are the best vacations!!! History and thrill!!! I swear you have the cutest lookin' family! I miss y'all so much! I hope on my next vacation, I'll be coming to see y'all. ;)

Leigh This Way said...

I've always wanted to go to Willamsburg and it seems like y'all picked a great time to go. I'm a history goober and love visiting historic places. The sad part is that I've hardly been to any here in charleston!