Thursday, April 2, 2009

Anthony's 2 1/2 yr check up

I can't believe that it has been 2 1/2 years since I was up in Philadelphia having the in-utero (fetal) surgery done with Anthony. I am still so amazed at how Dr. Adzick came up with away to fix spina bifida in the womb. Before the babies are even born! It blows my mind every time I think about somebody going into the womb and having surgery on a fetus, while still inside the mommy, and fixing his back. And still being able to carry the baby through the rest of the pregnancy with no problems. AMAZING! He is a very smart & talented man. Well, the MOMS Study (management of myelomeningocele study) always keeps in contact with us every 3 months to see how Little Anthony is doing, and then they make us come back up to CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) to run a bunch of tests on him when he is 1 years old and then again at 2 1/2 yrs old just to see how he is measuring up.
Now that Anthony is 30 months it is our time to make another visit up at CHOP. We left out of South Carolina Tuesday morning and arrived in Philadelphia that night. The MOMS study has put us up in the Sheraton Hotel, very nice, and it is right in the middle of the University of Penn. The campus here is beautiful. Since this is one of the oldest cities in the US the architectual buildings are amazing. Full of detail, and intraket work. You definitely don't see that any more. Builders now have to throw up a building so fast, they miss the beauty of the art. I have taken lots of pictures, but will post them when I get back home. We will leave Friday morning to head back.
Anthony did so good at his check up. The doctors were very pleased with him. After they did his evaluations they were like "seriously we have never seen a baby as happy and well behaved as Anthony" He did everything right when they asked, and even did it with a smile. Every time he walked into a room he made somebody's day. He would smile real big and jump up in the stroller and say "HEY!" really loud. Everybody would turn around and start laughing and waving back to him. He is just so full of life. I love him!
It was cute, because when we came back to the hospital the 2nd day for some more evaluations we walked into the waiting room, and once again he jumped up and said "HEY!" The lady at the front desk was like "Oh yay, I remember you, you're the real happy boy. We don't get too much like you around here." Anthony always pulls the ladies around him. I'm going to start calling him Leon Felts aka "ladies man"
Oh and I almost forgot. Big Anthony was able to get out of training to come up here with us. I had to leave Sunday to go pick him up at the Charlotte, SC Airport. He has to go back Sunday, but It is nice having him back around for a little bit, and especiall nice to have him up here in PA with them for the check up. Its been like a mini vacation, FREE vacation at that. The MOMS not only pays for the hotel, but for gas and food too. I have to say it is nice to eat out for every meal. When I get back home I'm not going to know how to cook anymore. Anyways, I'll post some pics later

4 comments:

Marina said...

I will say that Anthony has one of the most sweetest dispositions tha I have seen in a baby. He is very happy, and has gleeful attitude! Oh, how I miss him! I'm glad he got all good reports! Can't wait to see pics!

Marie said...

Next time you make your way up to Philly let us know!! We're only about 2 hours away and would love a mini vacation ourselves ;) Glad he had a good check-up!

Heather said...

Yay! I finally got to your blog. I tried before but it was private. It's so great to see little Anthony is doing well. There's nothing better than having a happy baby, especially when they have to do something not so happy. I'm loving your posts by the way.

Chelsea said...

I love little Anthony and miss his smile! We'll get down there soon! Glad everything went well - science is AMAZING! And Faith helps too!